24 July 2019

W7A/AE-010, Webb Peak

The Pinaleno Mountains in Southern Arizona contain some high summits and provide an opportunity to find some cooler temperatures during the warmer months.  Mount Graham is the highest, but it is off limits to most due to the observatories and to protect the endangered Red Squirrel population.  Other summits are accessible, though, including Webb Peak.  I chose to activate Webb Peak in July, 2018, as my first of two summits on the day I reached the Summits On The Air "Mountain Goat" status.

It's a long drive from Tucson to the trailhead - roughly 3.5 hours.  As I neared the base of the mountain range, I noted some gathering clouds near the top but I was excited for the day and not too concerned.


As I neared the top, I noted some signs restricting access to certain areas.  There was a very major fire in 2017, the Frye Fire, and the Forest Service had only recently re-opened some areas; others remained closed.  Along the drive up, the damage was evident.

Initially, the trail appeared to be relatively untouched and it was a pleasant hike.


Further up, however, the fire had completely burned everything and the trail was basically a soft layer of ash.


At the top of Webb Peak, there is a fire tower.  There was also plenty of evidence of other structures but the fire burned all but the tower.  It was a windy day but I had a great activation.  Here is a 360 video of my operating position (split into two due to size limitations).





After this activation I headed down the trail and made a short drive over to activate Heliograph Peak, which I'll post about in a separate blog.

Date First Activated by KR7RK:  6 July 2018
GPS Track Uploaded to SOTA Mapping Project Tracks Site:  Yes
Approx Hiking Distance:  2.0mi
Approx Elevation Gain:  500'
Summit Elevation:  10,030'
Summit Grid Square:  DM52ar
Summit County:  Graham
ITU Zone:  6
CQ Zone:  3


No comments: